El Toro was commissioned in 1943 and first used for training combat pilots for World War II. Before it was decommissioned and officially closed in 1999, the station provided air support for the U.S. Marine Corps Pacific Fleet. Wedged between two freeways and surrounded by agricultural fields and suburban growth, the former MCAS El Toro is now being planned for a large urban park as well as homes and businesses. But in its prime, the station hosted some spectacular air shows. Paul was there often.